[talk-au] josm "out of memory" error

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Tue Feb 19 03:12:15 GMT 2008

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Ian Sergeant wrote:
> Java problems.
>
> java -Xms512m -Xmx512m josm.jar  will set the java heap size to 512MB.
>
> Ian.
>
> Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote on 19/02/2008 11:00:27 AM:
> > I just put in another 1G of RAM. JOSM is using up to 1G and not touching
>
> the
>
> > second 1G at all, then giving an out-of-memory error. This happens with
>
> swap
>
> > use at zero if the machine has not been running long.
> >
> > Can anyone give me some pointers?
> > Java upgrade?
> > JOSM problem?

object was to load australia.osm (266.8MB)

setting the size to 512, 1024 too small
2048 swapped out everything and ran very very slow

changing the window manager, preventing the loading of 70 other processes, 6
virtual desktops and every other memory hog by starting twm instead of kde

allowed it to function slowly with virtual machine size set at 1536

I certainly don't have any more spare RAM in the house, so there ends the
experiment.
For normal use I'll find a suitable number between 1024 and 1536 to give me
some more space to use JOSM
and I'll work out how to carve pieces out of planet.osm and australia.osm for
myself