[talk-au] mapping data on the NSW north coast, and a request for road designation clarification

edodd at billiau.net edodd at billiau.net
Thu Jan 31 20:55:40 GMT 2008

Eric Rose wrote ..
> Hi,
>
> Part of what I would like comment on, is the road types. From what I've
> read,
> highways such as the Pacific and Bruxner are tagged as primary, major roads
> are secondary (for instance Bangalow Road connecting Lismore and Bangalow).
> Below that, smaller country roads linking towns are tertiary and the rest
> are
> marked as unclassified, with no other designation accepted. Is that a correct
> understanding of the system?
>
> The question arises because, I see that some of what I would call unclassified
> have been marked as minor (cf. an example south of Eureka, on the above
> map),
> while some of what I would call tertiary (Lawrence Road north of Grafton)
> has
> been marked as secondary, and some that whould be unclassified as tertiary,
> in the same area.
>
> Eric

I find that there are not enough designations for rural roads. There are certainly many grades of rural roads in our area, which is intensively settled. I've found 'minor ones' in a few places too. So there are tertiary which in my schema "go places" - not necessarily a town - then unclassified and tracks, with paved and unpaved as modifiers.

Liz