[talk-au] Tracing items.

info at 4x4falcon.com info at 4x4falcon.com
Thu Jun 5 05:38:20 BST 2008

Hi All,

Just a general comment and a couple of suggestions.

Having been adding items into osm for the last year I've noticed people
spending a lot of time tracing roads from landsat, yahoo, etc.

While this is admirable work is this really a useful exercise.  Someone
will eventually drive along this road with a gps upload it and then erase
the traced road.

Or worse still will not bother to drive down that road as it's already in
osm and not tagged as survey and therefore not sure should they replace
it.  So it never gets surveyed accurately.

So my suggestion is instead of tracing roads, trace things that can not be
easily surveyed.  eg railway lines, rivers, powerlines.

Or fix the coastline.  There's still lots of areas where the coastline is
not accurate and needs to be fixed up.

Anyway just my 2c's.

Cheers
Ross