[talk-au] Tracing items.

Darrin Smith beldin at beldin.org
Thu Jun 5 23:46:56 BST 2008

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 23:25:06 +0100
80n <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 5:38 AM, <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Just a general comment and a couple of suggestions.
> >
> > Having been adding items into osm for the last year I've noticed
> > people spending a lot of time tracing roads from landsat, yahoo,
> > etc.
> >
> > While this is admirable work is this really a useful exercise.
> > Someone will eventually drive along this road with a gps upload it
> > and then erase the traced road.
> >
> > Or worse still will not bother to drive down that road as it's
> > already in osm and not tagged as survey and therefore not sure
> > should they replace it.  So it never gets surveyed accurately.
> >
> > So my suggestion is instead of tracing roads, trace things that can
> > not be easily surveyed.  eg railway lines, rivers, powerlines.
> >

> IMHO Yahoo tracers should focus on lakes (and other bodies of water),
> parks and buildings.  After that maybe roads with no public access.
> Tracing public roads should be a last resort, they'll get done much
> sooner using GPS if they are not already traced from Yahoo.
>
> I'm not saying that Yahoo tracers should not do roads, but please do
> lakes and buildings and stuff first.  Give the GPS guys a chance to
> do the roads. It's a big planet we are not going to run out of
> unmapped space any time soon.

If that's the case, why be picky about what anybody maps? Let those who
want to contribute in their own way do it. It may get them traced
quicker leaving them blank, but it gets them MAPPED quicker if someone
does them via Yahoo/etc. By you argument you'd be happy to sit there
with huge empty swaths of map whilst someone wastes time doodling
buildings (what relevance those have on a street map is debatable,
although they do look very cool) and not adding useful navigational
data to the map.

It's trivial to find out if an area hasn't been gps tracked by firing
up josm and searching for roads without the source:survey tag if you
want to GPS map an area.
--

=b