[talk-au] GPS drive tracks are not accurate.

Mike R electroc at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 6 00:15:23 BST 2008

From: talk-au-bounces at openstreetmap.org
[mailto:talk-au-bounces at openstreetmap.org] On Behalf Of info at 4x4falcon.com
Sent: Thursday, 5 June 2008 2:38 PM
To: talk-au at openstreetmap.org
Subject: [talk-au] Tracing items.

> Having been adding items into osm for the last year I've noticed people
> spending a lot of time tracing roads from landsat, yahoo, etc.

> While this is admirable work is this really a useful exercise.  Someone
> will eventually drive along this road with a gps upload it and then erase
> the traced road.

This is the reason I have stopped wasting time loading roads in to OSM.

I got very keen and loaded lots of roads by tracing them off Yahoo maps,
making sure the trace was an accurate reflection of reality. Then someone
overwrote my plots with a GPS track that was the result of driving these
roads once, with no understanding of the unavoidable inaccuracies in GPS
tracks.

The straight plot of what I knew was straight road was replaced by a wavy
line. I gave up.

Mike