[talk-au] GPS drive tracks are not accurate.

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Fri Jun 6 00:22:52 BST 2008

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Mike R wrote:
> The straight plot of what I knew was straight road was replaced by a wavy
> line. I gave up.

Mike - how did you know it was straight road?
Seeing it on an aerial photo which is not recent may not be good evidence.
If you 'know' the road from recent use, that's reasonable.

I've seen some wavy lines from a direct conversion of a GPS trace (of good
accuracy) to a road.
The wavy bits can be caused by overtaking a vehicle and not considering this
when drawing a road.

The lesson remains that multiple passes with GPS provides best data.