[talk-au] GPS drive tracks are not accurate.

Kim Hawtin kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au
Fri Jun 6 01:46:26 BST 2008

Liz wrote:
> The lesson remains that multiple passes with GPS provides best data.

in my area i've found the ariel photo to be out by as much as 100m.
several GPS passes are with in 10-15m of each other.

my gps is the usb dongle type, and i decided that putting it on
the right hand side of the car yields more consistent traces when
making several trips along the same roads.

for dual dual carriage ways, it probaly doesn't make any difference.
the lanes are so wide that you can sit on the left side of the left
lane, or the right side of the left lane or left or right side of
the right lane and still get data traces that are 20m wide!

cheers,

kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations
kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au