[talk-au] Tracing items.

Ian Sergeant isergean at hih.com.au
Fri Jun 6 04:32:26 BST 2008

Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> My main technical interest is whether the work in Darwin requires redoing
as
> there has not been an adequate georeferencing of the photogrammetry.

> (for you lot - are the streets in the right place on the ground or are we

> several hundred metres out overall)
>
> I can't see a problem with anyone adding from any source PROVIDED it is
> IDENTIFIED
> How else will we get Darwin mapped?

I was in Darwin last year sometime, and I realigned and named some of the
main roads that were traced from yahoo imagery.

My observations then, and this may have changed since, were that

* There were many road features on the map that were different to on the
ground
* High-res imagery was generally well aligned to the GPS tracks, like it is
in most of Sydney
* The satellite imagery out of Darwin in the NT is clear, but considerably
out relative to the GPS trace (I realigned the Stuart Highway from Darwin
to Katherine).

All the roads that I aligned to the GPS data have been noted as
source:survey.  I don't know if I uploaded all of the traces though.

Ian.