[talk-au] should we migrate to osm forum

Sjors Provoost sjors at sprovoost.nl
Wed Jun 11 11:22:08 BST 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Luke Woolley <woolleyknox at hotmail.com> wrote:

> As a short-long term goal for the OpenStreetMap project, it is essental to
> have an efficient and welcoming means of communication. By having just the
> main page on its own, a forum (with software which can closely replicate the
> mailing lists as much as possible to reduce transition mess) which is
> intergrated with the user diaries (your own OSM blog) and private messages,
> the wiki as a reference for OSM development and guidelines and the trac for
> managing code and squashing bugs.

I agree the current system is a bit confusing for newcomers. Even more
so for some of the International components I  might add. It might be
a good idea to get a 'professional' usability expert from outside to
volunteer to take a look at the project. Does anyone know one?

More specifically about the mailing lists: does anyone know a tool that:
* is an online forum, with threads and whatever 'forum people' like
* is a mailinglist: with threads and where you can still use the reply function

> P.S. Off-topic but sorry if I'm stuffing up the threads. I don't know how to
> reply to the original topic without directly replying to someone else.

I think the original author and anyone who replies must make sure that
the mailing list is in the "to:" field, not in the "cc:" field. Or
perhaps the list is not configured correctly?

Cheers,

Sjors