[talk-au] secondary_link

Jack Burton jack at saosce.com.au
Sun Mar 9 06:57:32 GMT 2008

Hello all.

A few days ago, I noticed a fair number of small ways in Adelaide's
suburbs tagged as highway=secondary_link.

There's no reference to secondary_link in Map Features, Australian Roads
Tagging, or in any proposed feature on the wiki.

So I assumed this was just an error, and changed them to
highway=secondary so that all renderers would display them properly.

Last night I noticed that a lot of them had been changed back to
highway=secondary_link and about half of those were tagged additionally
with note='LEAVE IT A secondary_link OR ENTER ALL THE OTHER DETAILS'.

So I searched a little deeper in the wiki and found only two references
anywhere to highway=secondary_link, both in German and both suggesting
that secondary_link was not a valid value for the highway tag (at least
I think that's what they were suggesting -- my German is a little
rusty).

I'd like to change these back to highway=secondary again (as I have done
already for those not tagged with the note), but first want to make sure
I'm not doing the wrong thing, so thought I'd ask the list.

The alternative suggestion in the note ("enter all the other details")
doesn't seem to make much sense for these ways. The ways in question are
all short two node links between the sides of dual-carriageway roads
where right turns to/from lesser (i.e. tertiary, residential,
unclassified or service) roads are allowed. It doesn't seem to make
sense for these very short ways to have names or refs, and things like
maxspeed would seem to be moot on such short ways. Tags like is_in or
postal_code wouldn't make sense either, since there are no addresses on
any of these ways. So I'm not sure what was meant by "all the other
details".

Can anyone shed some light on the most appropriate tags for these ways?

Cheers,

Jack.