[talk-au] Sydney cycle routes

Ian Sergeant isergean at hih.com.au
Tue Mar 18 22:10:42 GMT 2008

"Ben Kelley" <ben.kelley at gmail.com> wrote on 18/03/2008 08:15:53 PM:

> I propose that where local councils list route numbers on signage
> (or in some publication that people might have seen) that these be
> listed as lcn=yes and lcn_ref=routeID. e.g. The signs that
> Marrickville Council list, or the ones that Sydney City propose.

This seems sensible, logical and useful.  Where the LGA has a cycle route
numbering system to mark it as a lcn.  AS I said, I only know that
Marrickville do this.  Clover Moore's dream of a city of Sydney cycling
utopia with cycle routes, is still unrealised.  The William Street cycle
lanes are dead, and it is quite likely when the city cycle routes are
built, a few drivers will whinge, and the whole thing will be canned by
Frank and Morris.

I would be surprised if the council didn't allow OSM to use the
information.

> For any state-wide routes (e.g. the ones the RTA propose) that these
> be listed as rcn=yes and rcn_ref=routeID.

I'd like to see the detail on the routes.

The only thing I have ever seen that resembles what you are talking about,
was the BikePlan 2010 document, which had cycle routes cross Sydney and the
regions.  The idea was to figure out what the routes were, and then
cooperate with councils and to fill in the gaps gradually by 2010.  Nothing
has really happened with the plan, the gaps remain unfilled, and usually
the best cycle route is anything but the BikePlan 2010 route.

Again, OSM should reflect what is on the ground, not a dream of the few
disempowered engineers in the RTA peds and bicycles area.

> This is true, and yet where cycle information is available in OSM it
> tends to be very good, and because it is easy to edit, more up-to-
> date. In areas where the International Cycle Map has good detail
> (not Australia ... yet) it is very useful. e.g. Amsterdam http:
> //www.gravitystorm.co.uk/osm/?zoom=11&lat=6868967.36892&lon=545511.
> 20427&layers=B00

I agree, more cycling information would be good.  I just don't know if the
regional route thing will work in Sydney.

Take a look at the inner west cycling map at

http://www.massbug.org.au/twiki/pub/MASSBUG/WebHome/HCATmap_A3.pdf

I think it is a great map, and really useful for cycling that area.

Ian.