[talk-au] more copyright stuff

Andrew Loughhead andrew at incanberra.com.au
Fri May 9 12:15:32 BST 2008

Wow, its bizarre. I mean, yes there is creative skill in selecting what
shows are on when, but the valuable result of that is a sequence of
shows, being broadcast, which sucks viewers in. The appeal judges seem
to think that the valuable result is a list of shows. If all Nine
produced was a carefully constructed list of shows, without actually
showing them, and the viewing public stood around reading the list and
saying "ooh, aah", then maybe I could get what the appeal judges decided.

But I think you are right Liz, it is relevant. I believe some osmers
collect street names by exception, that is, they compare what a
published map says with what street signs say, tick the confirmed ones,
and when they see an exception, note it.  I think this makes their list
a derived work and so is relatively high risk. A demonstrable survey,
such as a set of geocoded photos of signs, seems clearly not derived,
and so more bulletproof, to me. But then I've done almost none of that
kind of survey myself, and consequently have added almost no names, so I
suppose I don't have much cred on this.

2c supply now gone...

Andrew.