[talk-au] more copyright stuff

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Sat May 10 00:23:49 BST 2008

This is where the Australian legal process, in it infinite ignorance,
has lost its way.  Protecting creativity is important, but blocking
the description and documentation of creativity is completely baffling
in the depths of its ignorance.

In this case, the creativity is the sequence of programs itself.  If
someone were to broadcast the same sequence of programs, there is no
question - this would be intellectual theft.  Similarly if they were
to republish the creator's wording of the programme and its look and
feel.  But "the news is at seven, followed by the weather"?  You have
to be kidding.

In our domain, if a developer were to construct a new subdivision with
the same configuration, street names and bus stop placement, etc., as
an existing suburb, it would be theft of someone else's creativity.
But describing the existing suburb, is just that - it could even be
thought of as a new creative act.  And using other descriptions
(Gregory's, UBD etc.) for validation is just that - validation.  And
if we describe inconsistency (or even consistency) between the
different points of validation, that is *our* original contribution
creativity.

Just because someone utters a fact does not confer ownership of that fact.

The law, as they say, is a ass..  and it has just demonstrated how big
an ass it is...

jim