[talk-au] more copyright stuff

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Mon May 12 12:03:16 BST 2008

 "But I think you are right Liz, it is relevant. I believe some osmers
> collect street names by exception, that is, they compare what a
> published map says with what street signs say, tick the confirmed ones,
> and when they see an exception, note it.  I think this makes their list
> a derived work and so is relatively high risk. A demonstrable survey,
> such as a set of geocoded photos of signs, seems clearly not derived,
> and so more bulletproof, to me. But then I've done almost none of that
> kind of survey myself, and consequently have added almost no names, so I
> suppose I don't have much cred on this.
>
> 2c supply now gone...
>
> Andrew.  "

Another way to look at this may be,

As far as street names go, the actual data collection occurrs when you read
the name off the road sign.   How you choose to remember this data, in order
to edit it into JOSM is anothe matter.  You may

1) just remenber it
2) spell it out into a tape recorder
3) photograph it (hopfully with a geotag attached)
4) write it down on a piece of paper or
5) If you happen to already have a piece of paper (say a published map) that
has the correct spelling on it then you could just circle this string so as
to remember what you read off the street sign.

I don't believe that option 5 results in a derived work although you are
right that a complete geotagged photo library of all street signs and one
way signs etc. would be wonderful,

Nick