[talk-au] Australian mapping Wiki

Andy Owen andy-osm at ultra-premium.com
Tue May 27 13:46:16 BST 2008

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Australia

> I have some gps traces with large long lines in them.
> If my gps is turned on away from where it was turned off, my gps draws
> a strait line between the two.
> I have been keeping these private so as to not annoy other mappers.

My gps does that too. Out of curiosity, what are you using? I mentioned
this on irc and wondered whether it would be possible for the osm server
to filter out points that are too far apart. The response was that my
particular gps/software combo (nokia n810 with maemomapper) wasn't
common enough to warrant a fix by the people who would be in the best
position to fix it. I do plan on fixing it (both in my gps software and
in potlach), but I haven't had time yet.

I also now keep my traces private for the same reason, though sometimes
I forget and accidentally make them public.

> I have noticed other mappers have left sloppy traces, which I cannot
> hide and see mine at the same time.

>From the page that lists all your own traces, if you click the edit
link, it will take you to potlach with just that trace shown.

> What is the correct way to do things ?
>
> Also, some of my mapping efforts are not sticking to the viewing map.
> Why not ?

Have you waited a week? The changes generally make it to the viewing map
on a Wednesday at some time.