[talk-au] [Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Explicit 4WD_Only tag

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Nov 30 09:55:48 GMT 2008

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008, Matt White wrote:
> Introduce a tag that allows ways to indicate explicitly whether a 4WD
> vehicle is required to navigate that way. This would also allow routing
> engines to take into account such ways, so that non-4WD vehicles aren't
> routed onto roads they aren't capable of.
>
> Please see the proposal page for the details
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/4WD_Only
>
> Matt

We could have a long discussion about this. It's a good idea, but to be
pedantic (and there are lots of mappers like this) do you mean..
a high clearance vehicle
a vehicle which drives through all wheels (4 or 6)
or you can drive this in a solid car with a floor pan if you are smart enough
(like a beach buggy)

some of us rural people reckon that 4WD just gets you 4 foot further into
trouble and just because you have one of those urban shopping cart 4WD things
doesn't make you good enough to go anywhere

and no, I haven't had a 4WD for over 20 years. Nowadays I have a fleet of
bicycles to cover varying terrain.