[talk-au] [Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Explicit 4WD_Only tag

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Nov 30 10:21:47 GMT 2008

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, Matt White wrote:
> The idea was to have a single yes/no tag which was effectively a
> practical restriction on the road, rather than a legal one. There are a
> number of roads in various state forests around melbourne which are
> marked as "4WD Only", and the corresponding VicMap road is also marked
> 4WD only.
>
> Do you mean 4 feet further, or 4 feet deeper in the mud? Saw some guys
> today in Toolangi State Forest who would have been up the proverbial
> without a paddle if it wasn't for a decent winch.

Yes, it's a practical description of a type of road.
I know that what we have needs to make sense and not be easily confused
between languages and cultures, but because we live on an island continent we
should be able to set some standards which suit us rather than Europe.

On smoothness I was wondering whether to rate "smoothness" before or after the
grader went through. It's too variable here to be of any use in the real
world.

We also need
something to describe "impassable when wet" or "dry weather only"
and a descriptor for a creek or other waterway which isn't always there
eg "ephemeral"