[talk-au] Which GPS receiver, Where to buy

Hugh Barnes list.osm at hughbris.com
Wed Oct 1 09:39:01 BST 2008

On Wednesday 01 October 2008 09:03:34 Thomas Schröder wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I am new to the openstreetmap and wonder what would be a good GPS
> receiver. [The Scytex NaviGPS / Locosys (B)GT-11 looks very nice and
> small].

Same as the other Thomas S, I have only owned one, a Garmin eTrex H. It was
the cheapest I could find, around $200, that would talk to gpsbabel around
April when I decided to bite the bullet. I always expected to outgrow it
within a year, but I'm still happy. Not even sure if they still sell this
model – you can probably get the next one up for the same or cheaper now.

You are welcome to borrow it for a week or so if you want to check these
things out. I'm in the inner south, or we can meet in town on a work day.

Even better — and this is my ulterior motive — come along to the Brisbane
mapping party/marathon next week in New Farm and I'll walk you through it,
literally:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Brisbane/Mapping_Party_Marathon/2008-10

Contact me privately if you fancy any of these options.

> And where I can buy them (maybe in Brissi or online).

I bought mine at Johnny Appleseed, which have branches at least in Salisbury
(Evans Road) and Buranda (Ipswich Road, near hospital). I have also noticed a
very promising looking "GPS wholesaler" in the Archerfield Airport business
precinct, which says it sells to the public. About here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-27.57177&lon=153.0138&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF

(P.S. I just noticed the Wiki front page says the mapping party is Friday when
it should be Wednesday!)

Cheers