[talk-au] Road numbers in Garmin

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Tue Oct 21 10:53:23 BST 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Ben Kelley wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 6:00 PM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> > NH20 particularly bothers me.
> > Nowhere on the Sturt is there a current sign which says NH20.
> > It's 20 or A20 according to the state boundaries.
> >
> > I'm sure others can point out great inconsistencies with other highways.
> > Can we decide what labels to put on the roads?
>
> NH is national highway. See
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Route
>_Numbers
>
> In my experience these guidelines are only partly followed.
>
> I suspect showing them on the Garmin maps is a function of the software
> used to generate the maps. None of the OSM-based maps I have seen have
> them. I think it would be a really useful addition though.
>
>  - Ben.

Sure NH is National Highway, but this is not consistent with the current
signs, and the labelling itself is randomised.

A NSW current sign says 20, in yellow inside a yellow bordered shield on a
green background
A Vic sign has A20 and I can't check further as I seem not to have
photographed one this month
A SA sign has A20 as above with a small National in the shield

Nothing says NHxx on the Sturt Highway; but some mappers put NHxx down.
Can they justify this terminology on the basis of recent signage?

sample of highway markers - Mildura
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-34.1939&lon=142.1734&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF
sample of highway markers - Renmark
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-34.2052&lon=140.7778&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF
sample of highway markers - Gepps Cross, Adelaide
NHA1, A1, NHA20, A20, NHA16 and A16 all in one small area.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-34.8242&lon=138.6039&zoom=13&layers=B000FTF