[talk-au] Edits in and around Mt Barker, SA

Kim Hawtin kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Oct 21 23:57:47 BST 2008

Liz wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, bluemm1975-osm at yahoo.com wrote:
>> . A normal suburban roundabout should just be a circle (I use 8 corners)
>> with the 4 ways connected. Merkaartor has a roundabout tool where you click
>> a crossing, select the diameter of the roundabout and it creates a circle
>> with the ways cropped off to it (JOSM might have something similar). Some
>> people mapping Melbourne use mini-roundabout's to save time, but it's only
>> for mini UK style ones with a tiny white painted circle in the middle of
>> the intersection.
>
> We did decide on this list that for us, in Au, we'd stick with Brent's
> definition, that if the roundabout fitted within the width of the road, it
> would be a mini-roundabout.
> I can't imagine any Austrylyan driver paying any attention to a painted circle
> on the road pretending to be a roundabout - they only see concrete barriers.

well, the handful of roundabouts im thinking about are 12-20 meters across.
so that would be a draw in a way for the roundabout by hand and link in the
connecting ways then ... right?

there are a couple of little roundabouts in the burbs, but they are about
3 meters across + 2 times the single lane width. so i should mark them up as
mini roundabouts ... right?

regards,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations
kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au