[talk-au] GPS recommendation

Peter Ross peter at emailross.com
Thu Sep 11 04:06:01 BST 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Stephen Hope <slhope at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/11 Peter Ross <peter at emailross.com>:
>> I currently have a etrex legend, which lacks the high sensitivity
>> receiver but does have a screen. A plus is that you can upload the OSM
>> maps to it, which means you can see what is missing from an area when
>> you are tracing it.  I use it mainly from my mountain bike to trace
>> mtb paths and for that I generally get a good enough trace, even under
>> trees.  I think that is because having it mounted on the handle bars
>> gives better reception than when I'm just walking around and its on
>> one of my backpack straps.
>>
>> So for me, my ideal would be to upgrade to a Etrex Legend HCX, which
>> has high sensitivity and plus it can also route using the uploaded OSM
>> maps.  Which are both advantages over the etrex legend.
>>
>> Interested to hear others opinions on what they use, and what they
>> like about it and what they don't.
>
> How well does it mount on your bike?  Do you ever feel like it will come off?

I use it moutain biking on some really rough trails and including some
cracking stacks and it has never come off.  That includes hitting the
actual gps unit so hard that I can see that it actually bent the rails
which hold the unit in place on the mount, so now I can slide it a
couple of mills, where previously it didn't move at all.

It has fallen off once on the road, and it was right at the start of
the trip so I don't think I fully pushed the unit in until it locks,
otherwise it certainly would've bounced out of place on a mtb ride.

I use the garmin bike mount, which I bought from expansys I believe
for around 20 bucks.