[talk-au] Where is commonwealth place

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 11:19:03 BST 2008

Neil,

I think we may have "Commonwealth Place" wrong.

There is now sinage at the flagpoles indicating that the general area is
"Commonwealth Place". In this are whenever a street sign is for a place, as
in "Parkes Place" it will say  "Parkes PL". At the new roundabout there are
brand new street signs for "Bowen PL" and "Dorothy Tangney PL".

Therefore I'm pretty sure both the "Commonwealth Place" signs are locality
pointers rather than street signs. In fact the National Gallery still
advertises itself as in "Parkes Place".

The one exception to the PL rule seems to be if the "Place" is in the middle
of the name.  Right in Line with the National Library, on the bit or
pavement we've just called "Commonwealth Place" is a street sigh saying
"Parkes Place West".  GSV also has this sign quite readable.  This is a bit
strange since the national library advertises itself as on "Parkes Place"

There was one other "Parkes Place West" sign, which caused me to tag the
whole left length as "Parkes Place West". This also shows in GSV at the
corner of KIng George terrace, but the sign is now gone. The finance dept
occupies the right hand bit of the treasury building and advertises as
"Parkes place West" even thouigh the stree sign at the corner of Newlands
Street says "Parles PL" - also just visible in GSV.

The one "Parkes Place West" sign left is on a very old post and I wouldn't
be surprised to see it go soon.

http://www.nationalcapital.gov.au/visiting/attractions/commonwealth_place.asp
seems
to indicate that all the roads are in fact "Parkes Place".

What should I do. I think I should change both "Commonwealth Place" and
"Parkes Place West" to Parkes Place. Then since I can't decide where "Bowen
PL" turns into "Bowen DR" I think I may rename them both Parkes Place as
well :-)

I'm about to edit in the new roundabout and a couple of one wayness
changes.  Unless anyone has violent objections, by then, then "Commonwealth
Place" will morph from a street into a POI.

Nick