[talk-au] Manipulating ABS suburb data, and related data..

Ian Sergeant isergean at hih.com.au
Mon Apr 27 01:37:59 BST 2009

Thanks for the comments on this.

It appears that the practice is that when it is apparent to a knowledgeable
mapper that the ABS data should align with another OSM way, we apply the
relation to the OSM way and alter the OSM way if required, after giving due
consideration to the accuracy of the two sources.

Attribution is still a little unclear.  Darrin rightfully suggests that
even when we relocate ABS imported data entirely, we are still using the
ABS information that a suburb boundary exists in the vicinity, and which
suburbs it divides.  ABS therefore deserve attribution.  However, I think
ABS would not like to be attributed for a boundary that is changed, so
there needs to be a fair way to indicate that.

If a way is fully relocated from the original ABS way, and the mapper has
local knowledge of the administrative boundary in the relation it may be
best to remove the ABS attribution, as it is misleading if the ABS data is
not used.

For example, I walked around Lady Elliot Island on the weekend, and
surveyed the coastline.  http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-24.11473
&lon=152.71553&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF.  I'm going to wholly relocate the
administrative boundary.  In this case, even the LGA is wrong in the ABS
data (due to the recent merges in Qld).  So, I don't see the need for any
ABS attribution.

Ian.