[talk-au] Australian Rendering

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 3 03:17:41 BST 2009

--- On Sun, 2/8/09, Darrin Smith <beldin at beldin.org> wrote:

> They still provide general enough information to be
> useful.
> That same 90% also has a large number of source=landsat (or
> similar)
> roads on them, which aren't very accurate either, perhaps
> we could
> remove them also since they're just clogging things up? ;)

I'm not saying they're inaccurate, I'm saying they create noise in some areas rather than showing useful information. In the middle of western regions in NSW there isn't much of anything, let alone something of significants as a suburb boundary, but this is why I suggested using alternate

> > they're usually smaller or larger depending if the
> town grew
>
> So they need 'fixing' this doesn't make them invalid.

It's not as if I deleted them, I've just hidden them, and I'm open to suggestions on how to sort out this mess.

The way I see it, it's like place=city|town|village|hamlet....

It's not just place=one_size_fits_all, and in this case suburb boundaries would be useful, boundaries in rural Australia is confusing, no one navigates like that.

> Really? I've found them immensely useful already in
> discovering towns I
> never knew existed, or where towns I only know the name of
> are located.

What about for every day use, that would be a once in a while use, which is more important, as I find them completely unhelpful, distracting even as I'm not used to seeing maps drawn that way so it makes quickly referencing an area a much bigger task.

> Still it's your map render so you can hide them all you
> want, just
> please don't push this case into the main OSM rendering.

> admin_level = 10 is already established as the suburb
> boundary and
> documented as such.

Then lesser areas need to go to admin_level=11 to distinguish between actual suburb boundaries and ABS boundaries where almost no one lives and they aren't close enough together to be a town.

I wasn't trying to stir up a hornets nest by not making them render, I truly don't find them useful in rural areas and they confuse things when it comes to navigating a map. Navit makes it even worst by making them very obvious and it confuses things trying to navigate that way.

> Given the boundaries you are talking about are often
> serveral ABS areas
> merged into one (all those that fall inside that
> suburb/town) there is
> not need for an extra layer. You just need to recognise
> that the
> boundaries are in the wrong place and need to be moved to
> the new place.

That's just it, they're ABS boundaries and they are where they are for a purpose, statistics mostly, should we be really messing with them en masse, but I think we need to selectively show such boundaries or we should be drawing new boundaries that are more meaningful.