[talk-au] Australian Rendering

Darrin Smith beldin at beldin.org
Mon Aug 3 07:55:00 BST 2009

John Smith wrote:
>> By "represented" I meant in the OSM data. The underlying
>> data should be
>> consistent.
>
> To do this objectively we just need to stipulate the population then we can achieve the same result I'm after by suggesting subjective methods.

You can do this I guess it's a matter of rendering. I think this
discussion has highlighted an underlying issue that is beyond the
rendering issue however. The underlying issue is that you don't consider
  administratively equal a "suburb" and a "rural named area" despite the
fact that the various state governments and australia post do.

>> These areas are of the same importance, they are the
>> geographical name
>> divisions that lie within post codes.
>
> The importance of various bits of map info is subjective and
> what's important to you isn't important to me, but that's irrelevant
since we can do 2 sets of map tiles to please us both with different
style sheets.

This is not a subjective case however, see paragraph above.

> Naming them as localities would then make them show the name, I hate how the boundaries name shows up on a map even if there is a place marker.

Yeah this is a bit of a pain when you get duplicates in particular.
Really a renderer specific problem however. I liked the idea that
surfaced a while back of optionally being able to specify a 'centre' to
a boundary relation which should be where the name is rendered and only
rendering it centrally if that is absent. Don't think it's made it into
the renders though.

>> Please read what I am saying. I did not say "Not all the
>> ABS data has
>> names" I said "the ABS data doesn't have all the names".
>> There are even
>> more of these names in existance than the ABS data would
>> lead you to
>> believe.
>
> Sorry I meant for all the boundaries I've inspected they seem to be named, I didn't mean to imply they all have names, but just based on what I've seen they've been named.

You are still not getting what I am saying in this bit. Whether or not
all the existing ABS areas have names is not this issue. This issue is
that the ABS data is not complete. There are more names defined in rural
areas than there are ABS areas in OSM. (In South Australia Giles Corner
(rural) and Greenfields (suburban) are 2 such cases).

Darrin