[talk-au] residential and unclassified in Australia WAS definition of the main highway-tag

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 05:40:24 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 1:48 PM, John Smith<delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Although the intended use is the first, urban=town/city, I very much doubt that there would be enough roads in anything smaller than a town to need a higher capacity version of a residential road.

Ok with me.

> Someone can probably clean up my intent a little, basically what I was trying to achieve was to say unclassified roads interconnect with residential and other roads and are likely to have slightly higher volumes of traffic than residential, most europeans seem to think residential implies access=destination so they used unclassified to indicate this.

Maybe just say that, then, when it comes time to update the wiki :)
"Unclassified roads are likely to have slightly higher volumes of
traffic than residential".

> As far as I'm concerned highway=residential only applies to urban (town/city) areas, it doesn't apply to rural/non-urban areas.

Ok. Nice and clear.

>> 2) highway=unclassified is used for roads that are in any
>> "urban" area
>> (including residential) that are more "important" than
>> highway=residential AND are not "important" enough to be
>> highway=tertiary
>
> bingo
>
> primary -> secondary -> tertiary -> unclassified -> residential

Ok. Clear enough. In other words, unclassified = "quartary" and below.
If this goes ahead I look forward to the wiki pages being cleaned up
accordingly... :)