[talk-au] 4wd_only

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 6 14:26:48 BST 2009

--- On Thu, 6/8/09, b.schulz.10 at scu.edu.au <b.schulz.10 at scu.edu.au> wrote:

> Meh, who cares. What we're
> essentially doing here is forking OSM, just while still
> using their database. Why do all the Australian mapping
> guidelines need to be global? So long as what we tag ends up
> being consistent enough that their rendering works 99% of
> the time it's not really going to change anything.
> Isn't this the whole point of being "Open"?
> The fact that we can take their data and make something
> better without having to start from scratch.
>
> Basically, the idea that it's possible to come up with
> a tagging scheme which works perfectly across all
> international juristictions is not one which is based in
> reality. Lets just do our own thing and nuts to the rest of
> the world.

The problem isn't with OSM specifically, it's the potential of 3rd party software such as routing software. If we were to have no regards, and those in the US did the same, and those in Germany etc etc etc the authors of such software will just write software for the more popular regions of the planet and that could have a serious outcome for us due to being so under populated.