[talk-au] Cycleway/footway/path

jhen at talk21.com jhen at talk21.com
Sat Aug 8 20:50:19 BST 2009

With all footpaths being shared paths here in the ACT, what makes a good cycling path is sometimes difficult to pin down.

More often than not it's the width.  It's good to be able to pass a nervous cyclist coming the other way without them feeling the need to get off the path.  It's also good to be able to pass pedestrians without either of you needing to head bush, or feeling "that was a bit close".

But there are many other factors, and sometimes it's just a combination of such things.

These other factors would include:

How long a narrow section of path is.

How broken up the sealed path has become.

The size of the "road metal" used in the surface.

If the surface is unpaved, how level/rocky/chopped up by horses hooves it is.

How much pedestrian traffic uses the path.

I'm sure I can think of a few other things too.

John