[talk-au] Cycleway/footway/path

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Mon Aug 10 23:23:10 BST 2009

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Roy Wallace wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 6:54 AM, Ben Kelley<ben.kelley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In NSW a "shared path" means foot=yes, bicycle=yes. The default in NSW
> > for highway=footway (or highway=path) is bicycle=no (same as the OSM
> > conventions).
>
> No, highway=path does not imply bicycle=no (please see the wiki page).

then we have the same problem as the Germans
where path is path for feet
cycleway is path for bicycles
and you cannot assume that it is shared at all

we are discussing something whose history seems to be

all routes for walking / cycling / car / truck were highway
all routes for trains were rail
all routes for boats are undefined

someone then decides to make path
as in highway=path
and a duplicate set of tags are made up
which cover walking cycling

both ways are well documented and both have their fervent believers