[talk-au] Marking non-existent roads...

Ben Kelley ben.kelley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 02:46:51 BST 2009

Hi.

Yes this has been an issue for me a few times surveying cycle routes. The
council map says that this street is a cycle route, but when you go there it
clearly isn't. Something along the lines of "you might think that this
should be in OSM, but it shouldn't because it doesn't exist."

Maybe something on a wiki page, but how do you know to look there?

For my own purposes I mark on my paper map what I have surveyed into OSM,
and what I have surveyed to know it doesn't actually exist. This system is
not much use to someone else trying to survey the same area though.

For things where there is at least some kind of way on the ground you can
put a note in OSM, but sometimes in reality there is nothing on the ground.
e.g. phantom streets that other maps say exist.

Another case would be for streets that no longer exist, but once existed,
and where there are GPS traces in OSM for the street that used to exist.
(There are a couple in Tamworth like this.) I don't have a good solution for
these.

 - Ben.