[talk-au] List of potential datasources

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Sat Aug 15 11:18:44 BST 2009

On 13/08/2009, at 11:18 PM, Alex (Maxious) Sadleir wrote:
> If anybody knows any federal government datasources that would be
> useful, the Government 2.0 taskforce is looking for data sources that
> the community would find useful but currently aren't available for
> technical reasons [1]. This will form part of a series of contests to
> encourage innovation. I already suggested the Postcode boundaries
> being released with a more open licence, although it's hard to tell if
> that's due to technical reasons or a risk adverse culture.

I've got a couple that I think would be interesting, but I don't know
if anyone has talked to these departments yet.

http://www.toiletmap.gov.au/
Over 16k toilet POIs

http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/
Great Barrier Reef marine park boundaries and reef features. Their
spatial data is free for non-commercial/educational use, but they
change for commercial use.

The various Parks departments, for the boundaries of National Parks,
State Forests and so on. I've seen some of them show up around the
place, but not everywhere. For example I don't think any are tagged in
Tassie apart from the trivial case I added of the Maria Island
National Park being Maria Island.