[talk-au] Nambour Mapping Party

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 18 08:32:33 BST 2009

--- On Tue, 18/8/09, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> I've had a quiet whisper that someone in Sydney wishes a
> mapping party be

I should do a write up on the wiki on how I organised the Nambour mapping party, it technically would be possible for anyone to organise a mapping party anywhere, attending them is a different matter :)

However it really didn't take much effort, you could skip a few things like mail outs to other groups, I think it might be better to approach these groups about a talk then being invited to a mapping party.

You also don't need to get a banner printed.

All you really need is some quiet space, maybe with internet but most last weekend seemed to have internet access via their phones.

You then just need to set up a wiki page with the relevant details, where/when etc, mail to this list and possibly adding a social event to the geocaching.com site too.

Once the server I'm doing maps on is back up and running I plan to have some method for people to add events to the events calendar.

That's about it, to be most effective these events nearly need to be regular, that way people will know roughly when an event is and so on.

David Dean is planning to hold these events the third Friday/Saturday of each month.