[talk-au] Fwd: [OSM-talk] How to tag giant acorn?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 09:35:06 BST 2009

2009/8/28 Evan Sebire <evan at sebire.org>:
> I had an eee701 and would beg to differ on the screen readability, but LCD 's
> have been improving at about the same rate that my eyes are failing! (lenses
> getting thicker)

Yea well I have so far had the good fortune of not needing glasses or
other optical asstance, but it's fine for me.

> When surveying with a total station the toughbook sits on the tripod so weight

Weight wasn't the big issue for me, it was the bulk and using it in a
confined space in a car without needing to adjust the drivers seat
when I pull up to quickly log a street name etc.

> and weighs around the eee701(1kg) but costs 7 times the price.  Build
> qualities are worlds apart that is why commercial enterprises wouldn't touch a

I wasn't suggesting that any enterprise switch to an eeePC :) However
it does the job for me and because it's a solid state drive it should
take a knock better than your average laptop and costs less than most
laptops :)

> eee.  The arrow keys and space gave up on the 701 after 12 months of playing
> tetris!

If I was going to a lot of non-surveying I'd use an external
keyboard/mouse but have a laptop for most everyday things, the eeePC
is basically a car PC for surveying and the occasional video
conference.