[talk-au] Database licence

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat Dec 5 11:13:24 GMT 2009

There has been a great number of mails on osmf-talk about an upcoming vote on
the database licence.

Sadly, I'd like to say that I will not be supporting the proposed new licence.
It is designed around European law, and gives "database protection" which is
not a legal concept which is likely to apply here, after the recent High Court
case Nine vs IceTv, when the database was not afforded "protection".

I've been thinking about the imports from ABS and the Qld government. That
data is licensed CC-by-SA and would have to be *removed* from OSM as we cannot
negotiate with ABS and Qld for the new, non-existent licence with no basis in
Australian law. This would make a whacking hole in our data and make our map
look like an empty shell.

Only those who belonged to OSMF in Oct 09 will get a vote. Those who are
'merely' contributors will only get to be asked if they will relicense their
data or not. Only data from people who agree to relicensing will go forward
into the new licence.

Liz