[talk-au] Fwd: [Aust-NZ] Geoscience Australia goes CC-BY [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 01:21:12 GMT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <Ben.Searle at osdm.gov.au>
Date: 2009/12/7
Subject: RE: [Aust-NZ] Geoscience Australia goes CC-BY [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
To: scottp at dd.com.au, pcreso at pcreso.com
Cc: Aust-NZ at lists.osgeo.org

Hi,

Some general comments regarding CC licences.

While the use of CC may not be the best for data, many jurisdictions
in Australia are moving towards CC licences for their data and
information.  One of the key drivers is to reduce the burden to the
community (and governments) of having to navigate through hundreds of
different licences each time data is acquired, exchanged or
distributed.  If only 20% of government information and data is
available under CC, then this would save many hours of work and many
dollars for all concerned.  Hopefully the amount of data and
information available under a single licencing regime is much greater
than 20%.....

Regards

Ben Searle
General Manager,
Australian Government Office of Spatial Data Management

Phone: 02 6249 9298
Mobile: 0439-995-785
Fax: 02 6249 9942
Email: ben.searle at ga.gov.au
Postal address: GPO Box 378, Canberra ACT 2601