[talk-au] Australia BP service station dataset - suitable for bulk import?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 04:37:59 GMT 2009

2009/12/9 Chris Barham <cbarham at pobox.com>:
> ref: Australia BP service station dataset - suitable for bulk import?
> BP allows free download of GPS data for their Australian service stations.
>  They also offer another CSV dataset download with servo phone numbers,
> names and address.  Could these two be useful to OpenStreetMap as a
> datasource?

I think so.

> The data
> I'd be interested in volunteering to bulk upload this data via an API; but
> as I've only recently joined the project, I'd be grateful for some guidance
> on whether this is a good idea and also what API to use and how to go about
> it.

My only concern is that I couldn't easily find a license for the data.

There is very few points so it would possibly be easiest just to do it
manually, by the time you sort out the data and upload it via a batch
script it will probably take just as long.

Before you upload it is usually good to think about what to tag, there
is a bunch of useful information beyond phone numbers include the
types of fuels sold, if the place is 24 hours etc.