[talk-au] [OSM-talk] And the prize for the largest closed way goes to...

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Thu Dec 10 11:14:01 GMT 2009

On 10/12/2009, at 6:57 PM, Liz wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> ... the excellent Philippines mapping team who managed to create one
>> single closed way enclosing an area of roughly 300 thousand square
>> kilometres!
>>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=32126765
>>
>> The runner-up is a place in Sarah Palin Land,
>>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?way=24312786
>>
>> with 80 thousand sq km.
>>
>> Bye
>> Frederik
>
> Geez we don't even rate a mention
> bad showing there

The problem is that a lot of our big stuff is broken up into multiple ways due to being too accurate and so having >2000 nodes. The largest thing I can think of with not too complicated edges is the Woomera Prohibited Area, somewhere around 130000km iirc. I wonder if it renders "military area pink" at zoom 0, since it'd be big enough to see...

I don't know obviously, but I'd guess that the Philippine maritime area has more than 100 corners in reality.