[talk-au] Australian Cycleways

Evan Sebire evan at sebire.org
Sat Dec 12 09:07:45 GMT 2009

Why are we still using cycleway/footway, please describe only the properties
of the path.  If the routing/rendering software is dumb/simple that doesn't
mean we must be!
The tags for describing paths properties are fairly stable and that is what
the software should be using.  Smoothness, width, surface and incline.

I find the tagging of a shared path as cycleway with foot=yes, horse=yes etc
silly.  Using only the 'no' attribute would make much more sense.  So a shared
path could be simply tagged as highway=path, and then describe its properties.
Hopefully with the time many attributes are recorded against a path and the
user can make up his/her own mind whether the activity they want to do is
suitable to the path.  i.e. Is it to Steep?

Evan