[talk-au] National Public Toilet Map released under restrictive licence

Brendan Morley morb.gis at beagle.com.au
Sat Dec 12 14:28:46 GMT 2009

"a clear piece of evidence that getting Au data licensed for ODbL is going to
be like pushing excreta uphill":

Not necessarily so.

IANAL but it appears "in principle" CC-BY data will be compatible with OdbL.  I've just has a chat with someone involved with architecting GILF, where I
received this informal opinion. The Australian Government's intention is actually now to make its data as "free" as possible.  The gov2.0 taskforce report
supports this.  CC-BY is the free-est licence available consistent with Australian Copyright law (i.e. CC0 doesn't make sense in the Australian context
apparently, but some loophole allows you to attribute your CC-BY data as null).

Apparently NPTM is a special case because its data ownership was, er, subject to poor recordkeeping.  So better to have it available in some format than
none.

Brendan

p.s. I'm surprised OdbL is not called OdbL-BY-SA.  What happens if somebody wants to make a non-SA version?

--Original Message Text---
From: Emilie Laffray
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:16:15 +0000

2009/12/11 Liz <edodd at billiau.net>
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, Alex (Maxious) Sadleir wrote:
> The long awaited National Public Toilet Map has been released in XML
> (but not under CC-BY like many reports recommended) @
> http://data.australia.gov.au/610

> Instead, it's a click through licence that amongst other Proprietary
> terms requires anybody with database access to accept these terms
> again (but viewing generated map tiles is okay):
> "3.2  You may not sublicense your rights under these Terms to any
> person. If you require another person to access the Database for the
> Permitted Purpose (including a person you engage to design or build a
> Derivative Product on your behalf), that person must obtain a copy of
> the Database from the www.australia.gov.au website and comply with the
> Terms of this licence."

> Two steps forward, one step back.
> - Alex

a clear piece of evidence that getting Au data licensed for ODbL is going to
be like pushing excreta uphill

I may be reading it wrong, but getting the data to work with cc-by-sa would not be possible either. Essentially, with OSM, you are doing sublicensing all the
time due to the way it is working. But I could be understanding wrongly. In the case of Google, since they don't give you access to the database, it doesn't
matter.
I don't think it is here an odbl problem.

Emilie Laffray