[talk-au] Sports Clubs

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 08:58:18 GMT 2009

The reason I thought they may be a QLD thing is the state Government
here licences them a bit differently from your average pub (or used
to, I haven't checked lately).  Thus the (official) members only
rules, connection to a sport club, etc.  This connection can be quite
vague - the one nearest my mothers place is called the Caboolture
Sports Club - but is not anywhere near a sports ground, and I actually
have no idea whatsoever what sport it is actually attached to.  But it
worth it to them, as they get concessions in the licencing of pokies
etc that is otherwise harder to get.

One reason I was wondering about if they have a different tag, is
because they have a different vibe to your average restaurant / pub.
The clientele tends to be older, and a bit more staid.  I know people
who regularly go to these that would never step into a normal club,
and very rarely eat at a normal restaurant. So far I've just marked
them as restaurant, for lack of anything better.

Stephen