[talk-au] Sports Clubs

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Mon Dec 14 09:26:00 GMT 2009

On 14/12/2009, at 7:10 PM, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 8:03 PM, James Livingston <doctau at mac.com> wrote:
>> I'm sure that there was a tag for the first, although I can't find it now. Something like leisure=club_rooms or similar, which related to a sporting group but wasn't necessarily where the sports themselves were played, which would be leisure=sports_centre/pitch. Possibly I just made it up when I tagged some.
>
> I like the sound of club_rooms. Or I was going to propose club_house,
> but yours is better.

I'm not fussed on the wording, but I think something for clubs would be good. You could probably use it for things like scout halls and so on too, if there isn't a tag for that already.

> It would also be nice to have club= for the whole ground including any
> pitches. So a bowling club might have club=yes, sport=bowls,
> name=Fobar Bowls club, on the whole area. Then, leisure=pitch,
> sport=bowls on the bowling green. Then amenity=club_rooms for the
> building with restaurants etc inside.

There is a "site" relation which might work here, maybe something like
relation: type=site, name=Foobar Bowls Club
way: leisure=pitch; sport=bowls
way: amenity=club_rooms; building=yes

>> The lines are a bit messy, but my understanding is that basically:
>> * if you can only get drinks with a meal, it's amenity=restaurant
>> * if you can't get a meal (only snacks) it's amenity=bar
>> * if you can get either without the other it's amenity=pub
>
> Oh, interesting. I had thought the pub/bar distinction was just the
> usual fuzzy one: bars are more upmarket.

"Officially" it probably is fuzzy, but someone described that distinction to me once (on #osm I think) and it seemed to make sense to me. Of course you get the places which are a restaurant during the day and some nights, and become a bar on Friday/Saturday night, but it mostly works.