[talk-au] Sports Clubs

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Mon Dec 14 10:42:47 GMT 2009

James Livingston <doctau at mac.com> wrote:
> I agree that they're not really the same as a "normal" pub, but I don't know how'd you'd really describe the difference other than the "tenuous connection to some club and officially members only" thing.

"Pub" is short for "public house" and is a hotel, a place where anyone
can get a meal, a drink and a room. Bars don't have rooms.

In the ACT, a club is the only place you can go to play a poker machine.

Clubs are not always sports-oriented, there are labour clubs, trademen's
clubs, fishermen's clubs, clubs centered around ethnic groups, etc.
Access restrictions to members, their guests and out-of-area visitors is
a significant difference compared to pubs. Clubs usually have dress codes
and other rules that pubs may not. They are heavily regulated by
State-based legislation and are obviously different (when you visit them)
from a pub or bar.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au