[talk-au] [Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

swanilli swanilli at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 08:20:00 GMT 2009

Two points:

1. The terminology "foot=designated" and "bicycle=designated" is confusing,
since the opposite of "designated" is not "no" but "undesignated" or
"non-designated". Just leave it as it is on thousands of ways as
"bicycle=yes" or "no" and "foot=yes" or "no". There is no need for a change.

2. The idea that every way on which bicycles are permitted should be
designated cycleway implying it is primarily for bicycles, is, in my opinion
either hopeful, naïve or arrogant. If you read, for example, the extract
from the Australian Road Rules for "Australian separated footpath" it is
clear that the correct designation is "footpath" and not "cycleway". Leave
well alone or you will bring the wrath of the gods down on OSM.