[talk-au] Roundabouts and routing

morb.gis at beagle.com.au morb.gis at beagle.com.au
Thu Dec 17 20:59:52 GMT 2009

"The first exit (west on Ginninderra Drive) isn't being counted as an exit
because that exit point is also my entry point."

Well, I would rather represent geometrical reality than play tricks for routers.

Take a comparative example:

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-28.0917,153.3945&z=19&t=k
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-28.0917&lon=153.3945&zoom=18&layers=B000FTT

You can see that to get from S to W, W to N and N to E it's a graceful sweep
left, more or less tangential to the roundabout.  Whereas from W to S, there's
the left bend into the roundabout, a bit of right bend in the roundabout,
before turning left again out of the roundabout.

In the first case I have edited the entry, exit and roundabout as meeting at
exactly one node.  IMHO this represents reality and if the router can't handle
it then the router should be upgraded to suit (or its OSM-to-router-format
script suitably upgraded).

We shouldn't be "mapping for the router" to the extent it disagrees with
reality, should we?

Brendan