[talk-au] Roundabouts and routing

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 00:54:02 GMT 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 9:46 AM, John Henderson <snowgum at gmx.com> wrote:

> I thought long and hard about this issue before I make the first
> "correction" to a local roundabout.  I came to the conclusion that
> roundabout entry and exit points should be separate.

Sure, and I see the logic - but the fact you needed to "think long and
hard" means it's probably better if the routing can be fixed to cope
with either kind of mapping.

> It also occurs to me that we might be able to get both these problems
> fixed in one fell swoop, at least for Garmin routable maps.  And that's
> to get the OSM mkgmap program reviewed and modified.

Yeah, when I say "ROUTER fix", I don't necessarily mean Garmin
themselves, I just mean *somewhere* in the chain of processing the raw
data, a fix is necessary to be able to cope with shared roundabout
entry/exit nodes (I don't know where though - not my area).