[talk-au] Centrelink locations

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 01:00:02 GMT 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 10:28 AM, John Henderson <snowgum at gmx.com> wrote:
> Steve Bennett wrote:
>> Yeah, good work. Should the name be "Bairnsdale Centrelink" or just
>> "Centrelink"?
>
> I'm all for putting town/suburb names in as well.  One place where it
> matters is looking up POIs on GPS units.
>
> These are sorted by proximity to current location.  And when using the
> feature to find fuel outlets for example, it's a tremendous help to have
> suburb names in the lists you get instead of just:
>
> BP
> Woolworths
> Caltex/Woolworths
> Slell Coles
> Mobil
> BP
> BP
> Caltex/Woolworths, and so on.

But isn't this a problem with the user i.e. the GPS unit software?
I.e. shouldn't the suburb be retrieved from an admin boundary if
required? IMHO the name=* value should be the name. If it's actually
called "Bairnsdale Centrelink" then fine, but I wouldn't add it just
to change the behaviour of some other software.