[talk-au] Roundabouts and routing

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 03:46:07 GMT 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:

>> This is an interesting example. The "_messy" and "_simple" techniques,
>> of course, could just as well be described as "_complete" and
>> "_approximate", etc.
>
> No _messy is over mapped and _simple is accurate.

This is subjective and, as I said, depends on "what we are mapping".
E.g. IF we are mapping the "centrelines of paths of travel" in terms
of geographic location, clearly _messy is more accurate/complete. But
that's a big IF. I'm not saying _messy is better, I'm just saying it's
not *necessarily* worse - it all depends on the goal and the
definition of a "way".

> Additional information like turning lanes etc needs to be included in relations etc or other tags.

Yes, fair enough. But what if someone wants to mark the geographic
locations of these "turning lanes etc"? Then we go to something line
highway=lane, I guess. But that's off-topic here.