[talk-au] Lanes [Was] Roundabouts and routing

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Sat Dec 19 05:01:50 GMT 2009

> As I keep advocating, we should be able to map lanes, but it makes no
> sense to try and use ways to do this because as Ross keeps pointing
> out it just looks messy.

And becomes unusable on small screens.

> > Yes, fair enough. But what if someone wants to mark the geographic
> > locations of these "turning lanes etc"? Then we go to something line
> > highway=lane, I guess. But that's off-topic here.

> If we had lanes our GPS routing software could tell us which lane we
> need to be in to turn, unlike most states in Australia when turning
> right in Melbourne you line up in the far left lane instead of the
> centre lane, or was that way when I was down that way last, I doubt
> things have changed since.

Probably worth having a read of these:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Santiago1504/MultiLane

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/lane_and_lane_group

They look like they will cover what we have been discussing.  We may need to get one of these pushed along, or offer assistance to do so.

Quick thought is the multilane proposal is possibly better.

I have tagged the westbound lane of Christine Avenue at the next intersection with traffic lights to the east of Bermuda Street in this way as an example.  Look at the two way segments before the traffic lights to see different data.

In the meantime I suggest the following:

1. not mapping lanes as individual ways, as it will mean lots of work to modify them later on.

2. Tag sections of ways with lanes=* where there are junctions like this.  Other areas as you see fit.

3. Make a decission on which of the above proposals for lanes we want to support and advocate it.

--
Cheers
Ross