[talk-au] Tagging fuel locations

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Mon Dec 21 01:05:42 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 11:42 +1100, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:39 AM, David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au>
> wrote:
>         According to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:atm you
>         should add
>         an individual node for an ATM, rather than tag it onto an
>         existing node
>         (ie. bank, servo or chemist).
>
> Well, that's a bit of a misrepresentation. It says it's better to
> create an extra node *if possible*. Ie, if you've surveyed the place
> and know where the ATM or whatever is physically located.

Well, I never add any map data that I havent verified for myself, so my
interpretation is probably different to those who mass-import data.  Ive
been to almost every servo in my local area, and have been marking
features such as car wash and ATM as separate nodes.

The problem is, if someone then comes in and bulk imports with less
accurate/surveyed data.  I know this issue has been gone over before on
this list, but Im noticing a lot more misplaced data lately from
imports.  I havent seen any of the BP locations land on the right spot,
so forgive me for being wary of the accuracy of the other unchecked
data.

David