[talk-au] Routable maps

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 21:54:39 GMT 2009

Not all the img files you'll find lying around are routable.  Some
are, some aren't.  As Matt said, some of the ones on the OSM Australia
are, but not all. There are other sources as well - see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download for a
partial list. (Check the routable column)

If you have .img files to load, you may be able to ignore the whole
software route, and just use your etrex like a USB drive.  I have an
Etrex, though not a Legend CX, and I keep a number of img files on it
it with different names (for different purposes).  If I want to use a
different one, I can just attach to the nearest computer, rename the
files so the one I want is called gmapsupp.img (in the Garmin folder),
and I'm done.

On my Etrex, you go into the Menu, go to setup, then interface, and
there is an option there to use the machine in USB mode.

Stephen